Saturday, September 12, 2009

FOCACCIA BREAD Bread Baking Challenge #13



  My very own: eggplant, camelized onion, fresh mozzarella, focaccia pizza











Bread Baking Challenge #13:http://pinchmysalt.com/the-bba-challenge/
FOCACCIA, not a very famous kind of bread (but... maybe I can change that....)
FOCACCIA BREADcaramelized onion, fresh mozzarella, eggplant focaccia, this is my choice that I will try next...


 

I am not familiar with this bread, I was not even inclined to give it a try. I was looking for another people baking this bread, from BREAD BAKING CHALLENGE, and I was very impressed with Annie McLeod picture and comment that I thought to try...

Peter Reinhart is telling us that this bread it is not so appreciate in America, but his cousin PIZZA (from Napoli), thin crust pizza, is very well known. This FOCACCIA is the same family of PIZZA, but is originally from Liguria, thick (1and1/4") with, big translucent holes, like CIABATTA BREAD.
One can use this focaccia dough with different toppings (cheese,cooked vegetable,cooked meats) as a diner meal,  or use herbs and oil on top, for a snack.

As I read in almost all the discussion by other challengers, I am going to make 1/2 of the recipe for the same size pan, they all are saying it is too thick, following the book recipe..


I am starting with flour, yeast, water and oil as recipe is, mix with the paddle for 3 minutes,



and change the paddle with the hook, after that and mix for 6 more minutes at medium speed.



The dough is sticky and very loose, easy to manipulate.



I made a very thick bed of flour, put the dough in it and I stretch,  and fold as a letter, 


oil the top, cover and leave to rest at room temp for 30 minutes. I repeat this for 3 times (90 minutes in total at room temp).


After all this time, fold and unfold, stretch the dough as big as the baking pan.



The recipe in the book is telling us to keep the dough on counter, and after an hour to move to the pan. Most of the discussion was to put in the pan from the beginning, and then wait for an hour at room temp, before you put the dough in refrigerator.It seems like once it was rising for an hour was very difficult to make a good job moving to the pan..



Spray oil, add flour to top, and after an hour cover the dough and store in refrigerator for next day.

Next day I took out of refrigerator, I left it at room temp for 4h and I became soft and bubbly, ready to prepare.


I prepared few topping, before I set it up for baking: caramelized onion,grilled eggplant, fresh mozzarella slices and sun dried tomatoes.


It looked colorful and I was eager to try. The baking part is short, 500F 10 minutes, rotate, 10 more minutes at 450F.







My focaccia pizza, it is hearty, rustic, earthy, well paired with a light wine (Merlot) and a good company.... Perfect lunch!

THE BEST HUMMUS, from “Silver Palate Cookbook”

  The first time I had hummus, I love it! 30 years ago (1987) new to this coun...