THE BEST HUMMUS, from “Silver Palate Cookbook”

 























The first time I had hummus, I love it! 30 years ago (1987) new to this country, we had lunch all of us in the lab! Somebody brought food from across the street: hummus, tzatziki, falafel, olives, tabbouleh, pita and lavash…. all new to me!! In Romania we don’t have chickpeas, cumin, cilantro,  cardamon and many others…. I just love hummus! 
I start looking and trying recipes, many, many, but this one is the one that I like it, my family like it, I keep making all the time.

Once you have all the measured ingredients, you just put all in a powerful blender and keep mushing, pureeing, mixing… until is a smooth paste! Taste and experiment.....




Silver Palate cookbook, recipe:
4 c. (2-1/2 cans) garbanzos (chickpeas), cooked, drained
1/2 c. tahini (sesame paste) 
1/3 c. warm water
1/3 c. best quality olive oil
Juice of 2 or 3 lemons
4 or more cloves garlic
1-1/2 t. salt
2 t. ground cumin
Freshly ground black pepper to taste







MY NOTE:

One can use dry garbanzos bean (1 lb) Slow Cooker Chickpeas, cooled, instead of tin can.
  • Slow Cooker Chickpeas:   
  • 7 cups water
  • 1 pound dry chickpeas, sorted and rinsed
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda

I use juice from one lemon (not to be so mushy!)


I use only 1/2 tsp cumin, as my preference. My Lebanon friend said she doesn’t use any, at the table she sprinkle olive oil and cumin on top!! 

























Come to the table! Come and eat with us!!

Comments

Popular Posts