pin it

Saturday, August 8, 2009

bread baking challenge: #7 CIABATTA BREAD



  In this challenge,that I am part of, we follow the book:

The Bread Baker's Apprentice: Mastering the Art of Extraordinary Bread by Peter Reinhart

 

 


bread baking challenge: #7 CIABATTA BREAD



ONE DAY BEFORE BAKING, I SET UP THE POOLISH, FOR THE CIABATTA BREAD.

2 hours after I set up the poolish (1st step for my ciabatta bread) become swollen, puffy, raised as the book of Peter Reinhart’s wonderful book, The Bread Baker’s Apprentice: Mastering the Art of Extraordinary Bread. that we follow in this challenge. I kept it in refrigerator, overnight.







ONE HOUR AFTER I TOOK THE POOLISH OUT OF REFRIGERATOR (NEXT MORNING)
I add flour, yeast, salt and with the paddle of my wonderful "cuisine art"AS Nicole said in her blog, she start adding from the beginning 1/2 cup tap water, keep adding spoon by spoon until I add all 3/4 (maybe a little more) of the whole quantity that the book advise us to do it.
I start kneading at medium speed 8 min, until the dough was not stick to the walls. I didn't understand this, by reading the book, but i see it as the dough start making a glue mass....



This was my consistency, a sticky, but firm dough, that will fell from the paddle (eventually) but will be still sticking to the bottom of bucket. 



In this moment I add the hook and knead again 5-7 min, until the dough will be smooth, firm, but a little sticky.



I poor the dough on my granite counter on a heavy flour bed, as Peter R. is advising us. I never did an flour bed, but I follow the picture and my imagination....







I make a flat sheet from my dough,( it is so easy to work with this dough!, ) on the flour bed, on my counter


I fold the flat dough, in three, as a letter and I set it up for the first rise (30 minutes)


I have a special towel for covering all my rising breads, so the air shift, and noises, not to go to the dough- this is what I learn, from my grandmother and her baking in my childhood…

I was surprised how much it raised after 30 minutes… Looks plump and happy don’t you think?

I folded again in three. and as Peter suggested, I put my own special, basil oil , brushed, so the plastic wrap will not be stuck to the dough, and leave another hour at room temperature, to rise again…

Few more packing and shape it to be raised again, slip the loafs on the parchment paper and spray oil and cover with wrap,for another 30 minutes.




Baked at 350F , 35 minutes nice, nice very good bread...


Ciabatta bread, I bought from a Bakery, perfect , soft and crunchy, outside....


MY OWN CHIABATTA SLICE, WITH WHOLES AND VERY GOOD TASTE.
I AM VERY PROUD AND SO IT IS MY HUSBAND, WHO IS ENJOYING THIS CHALLENGE, MORE THAN ME......

Next bread, I will try ANADAMA bread, I like the story behind , and the fact it is invented in Massachusetts...