Friday, August 14, 2009

Bread Baker's Challenge #1 ANADAMA BREAD




baked bread challenge # 1- ANADAMA BREAD


The origins of this bread it is diverse and confusing, there are so many stories about. Peter Reinhart in his book make sense saying it is possible to come from a lonely, unhappy man in Rockport, MA who's wife left him, one given day. All remain in his lonely house was some flour, corn meal,and molasses. He start making "ANA DAMN'ER!" bread from all of this.

At the end, after I baked this bread I was surprised as good was the taste and texture of cornmeal into each slice. I definitely will make again, maybe changing the shape AND THE METHOD OF BAKING...


Ingredients:


SOAKER: (overnight)
1 Cup corn meal (preferable coarse)
1 Cup water

 DOUGH
4 ½ cups unbleached flour
2 teaspoon yeast
1 cup, lukewarm water
1 ½ teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons molasses
2 tablespoons butter




The evening before baking I mixed one cup cornmeal and one cup water, and leave it cover until next day.



DIRECTIONS:
A day before baking, soak corn meal in water, leave overnight at room temp.

Next day, mix all the ingredients, and knead for 10 minutes to become light, elastic dough. This operation can be done by bread machine.

Butter a bowl and put the dough, covered with plastic wrap, at room temp until it double in size./ about 90 minutes.

Remove the dough from the bowl, divide in e and shape as 2 loafs.

 Proof them again, 60-90 minutes, until they double in size.  As an option, at this point you can refrigerate the loaf up to 2 days, leave them to warm for about 4 h before bake.

Heat the oven for 350F, put the loaf to bake, after 20 minutes, rotate the loafs 360 degree, to be baked evenly, for about 20 minutes more.

They are done when they sound hollow, and crispy.




 I started adding the corn meal to a mixer, and flour, and salt and yeast and mix well with the paddle first.

I cover the dough and leave it to rise for 1 hour.




The dough riced nicely, I add Vermont maple syrup ( I didn't have molasses in the pantry, and I figure it that Maple syrup it is a "New England " product, to be in the same team as our poor left alone man from Mass).




I add butter and start mixing for a heavy dough to form.




Mix everything with the paddle, of a stand up mixer.




Change the paddle with the hook to mix the dough, thoroughly for 5-7 minutes. Or you can knead manually for 5-7 minutes.




I buttered the bowl and put the dough, covered to rise again, for 90 minutes



After 90inutes, the dough is well raised, fluffy and beautiful, ready to be shaped.




 I start giving a long shape and rolling around.



I brushed the bread with egg wash, score the bread and add poppy seeds and caraway seeds



I covered  the bread with ceramic wrap, and a towel, to be protected from currents and have a stable, warm environment for one hour.






My #2, ANADAMA breads, all raised, ready to bake:



Bake at 350F for 40 minutes.

Another option of shaping the bread,  would be to bake in a form ( as Peter Reinhart describe in his book)



This brings a soft hearty bread that I prepare it with some butter and fresh made apricot preserve. Delicious!! Bone appetite!

EGGPLANT FAN, ROUMANIAN, VINETE IMPANATE CU LEGUME

The first time I found this recipe was in a roumanian blog and I look around and around to find in english. When I told my neigh...