Tuesday, October 25, 2011
APPLE STRUDEL IN A PHYLLO CUP
Using phyllo cups, I found that is an easy way to have apple strudel, as you needed it or how many you need it.
You can prepare and bake the phyllo cups, in advance and you can prepare apple in advance too.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
Use one sheet, brushed with melted butter, folded in 3 or
/ layer 4 sheets of phyllo dough, brushing each layer with melted butter.
1. Cut squares with scissors from these folded sheets of phyllo for various muffin tin sizes: 3-1/2 inch squares for mini cups; 5-1/2 inch for standard cups; 8-inch squares for jumbo cups.
2. Spray the muffin tins with vegetable oil spray.
3. Press the layered phyllo squares gently but firmly against the bottoms and sides of the muffin cups.
4. Bake the empty shells until they are crisp and golden about 7 to 10 minutes. Remove them from the oven and let them cool completely before filling.
5. The cups can be prepared and baked 2 to 3 days in advance and stored in a covered airtight container. Note: Avoid filling them until just before serving. Moist contents will cause the phyllo to become soggy.
You can fill these cups with many fruits and combination. For apple strudel you peel, core the apple, 4lb (I use Macintosh, but is all about your preference) thin sliced and add 2 tablespoon sugar and put in a pot, on stove, for few minutes until they are translucent, not watery. I like to add cinnamon, vanilla, walnuts, and raisin.
You can keep this cooked apple in refrigerator for few days and fill up phyllo cups as you need it.
When the apples are cool, fill up the phyllo cup and add powder sugar. Bone appetite!