Homemade, 2hours, bagel recipe
4 cups bread flour
1 Tbs sugar/ or malt, if you have-it bring a special taste-
1 1/2 tsps salt
1 Tbs vegetable oil
2 tsps instant yeast
1-1/4- 1-1/2 cups of warm water.;
You also need:
1tsp of baking soda dissolved in boiling water,when you boil the bagels;
poppy seeds, caraway seeds, ms. dash, to deep bagels, in.
1. Mix all the ingredients in a bowl,10 minutes,to make a silky dough..
2. Cut the dough (32"/16"size) into 8 -to 12 equal sized balls, and let rest for 10-20 minutes.
3. Make 8 bagels and let them drop without crowding them, in hot, boiling water, 2 minutes, each side.
Add 1 tsp of baking soda, to boiling water, will bring a special taste to the bagels.
4. Take them out, let dry for a minute; dip one side in poppy seeds, caraway seeds, sesamy seeds,
any combination or any thing you like.
5. place them on your oiled baking tray.
Pre heat your oven to 500F.
6. Bake them for 5 minutes, lower the oven temp for 450F, turn the tray, and bake for 10 minutes.
7. Flip them on the tray and bake for 10 more minutes.
8. Let them cool for10 minutes.
Very good bagels, tasty and crunchy outside.
NOTE:I HAD TO SEPARATE THIS 2H RECIPE FROM THE REGULAR 2 DAYS RECIPE (PART OF MY BREAD BAKING CHALLENGE) BECAUSE MANY PEOPLE ASKED FOR THIS "SHORT " RECIPE..... from John D Lee who makes bagels, as a profession, for many years: