My mom and I don't always cook the same things, but we cook with the same philosophy: eat to live, don't live to eat. In my own house we're always looking for recipes that our son will be excited to eat and that are good for him.
This is what we made for dinner tonight, and I thought I'd take pictures along the way, for your the blog.This recipe is nutrient packed, colorful and delicious - plus it's fun for kids to dig in too!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 colorful bell peppers
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- Feta cheese
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic, and saute until lightly browned
- Mix quinoa into the saucepan and cover with vegetable broth. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes
- Add black beans and season with cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper
- Add chopped basil and scoop the mixture into bell peppers
- Add feta cheese and bell pepper top. Drizzle with olive oil and add salt, pepper
- Cook in oven for 15 minutes at 350 degrees, or until bell peppers are slightly roasted
As you can see, this dish was a hit. From our house to yours, enjoy and as a Romanian would say: pofta buna!