6 large egg yolks
3/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons sugar /
3 Tablespoons cornstarch /
2 teaspoons vanilla extract* /
1. Mix together the egg yolks, egg and 2 tablespoons of the sugar.
2. Add the cornstarch and flour to the egg mixture and using a whisk, mix until smooth and pale yellow. Set aside.
3. Combine the milk and remaining 3/4 cup of sugar in a saucepan. Set it over medium high heat and stir until the milk begins to steam.
4. Whisking constantly, add half of the hot milk to the egg yolk mixture and stir until smooth.
5. Pour the combined mixture back into the saucepan and bring to a boil, whisking rapidly to prevent any scorching.
6. Remove from the heat and stir in the butter and vanilla.