RUSTIC SOURDOUGH BREAD


 
This chewy loaf, with its deep-brown crust, can be made in two versions: with rich, deep, flavor, and very mild tang; or with assertive sour flavor, typical of a San Francisco sourdough loaf. 
Since I went to a class about sourdough, at King Arthur flour center, I have this "starter" from there that I maintain in refrigerator. Twice a week I have to discard 1cup of starter and feed again the "starter"=yeast, with 4oz flour and 4 oz water. I found this recipe at the blog of  King Arthur flour, using the 1 cup that I discard anyhow, from my "starter".
This makes me good, I don't trough any dough!



Ingredients:

 •            1 cup  sourdough starter (My Note: I used the "discarded "cup, unfed, from refrigerator)
•             1 1/2 cups lukewarm water
•             2 teaspoons yeast
•             1 tablespoon sugar
•             2 1/2 teaspoons salt
•             5 cups all-purpose flour

 My Note: this time I used 4 cups all purpose flour + 1 cup rye flour. In this case, as I learn in class, I add 4 table spoons of warm water, so the dough will be soft and silky as the white flour dough, will be.

Directions:

1) Combine all of the ingredients, kneading to form smooth dough.
My note: I use the bread machine to knead and first rise. The dough rise a lot in the machine!But you can use manual knead and rise at room temp, if you chose....



 

2) Allow the dough to rise, in a covered bowl, until it's doubled in size, about 90 minutes.
3) Gently divide the dough in half; it'll deflate somewhat.
  4) Gently shape the dough into two oval loaves; or, for longer loaves, two 10" to 11" logs. 




5) Place the loaves on a lightly greased or parchment-lined baking sheet. Cover and let rise until very puffy, about 1 hour.
6) Towards the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 425°F.
7) Spray the loaves with lukewarm water.
8) Make two fairly deep diagonal slashes in each; a serrated bread knife, wielded firmly, works well here.
9) Bake the bread for 25 to 30 minutes, until it's a very deep golden brown. Remove it from the oven, and cool on a rack.



  http://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog/2008/09/10/sourdough-for-sissies/


 

My Note:
I use this dough bread machine to bake, because one night I didn't have time to deal with the dough, shaping, raising, and baking. I got a very good tall bread, tasty and firm crumbs.







 

Comments

  1. We're proud that you're putting your classroom experience to work in your home kitchen - with beautiful (and tasty) results! Happy Baking! Irene @ KAF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy with your class at KING ARTHUR FLOUR, I really understand all the story with "starter" fed, unfed, and so on... It was a mystery to me, not any more.thanks, ileana
      Your "KING ARTHUR FLOUR" starter works beautiful, for me and for the people I gave to....

      Delete

Post a Comment

THANK YOU FOR YOUR COMMENT! I AM LOOKING FORWARD FOR YOUR IDEAS.. PLEASE if you sign as anonymous, PUT YOUR NAME AT THE END, at least I know who's comment is, ILI

Popular Posts