CAULIFLOWER AND ZUCCHINI QUICHE, a very special one



My very good friend and many things adviser, Janice, was very happy one day, because she found a book she was looking for a long time: ANNA THOMAS’S “The vegetarian epicure”. She keeps telling me about this book full of wonderful recipes: all vegetarian and all very good…

She founded and she showed me the book. The moment I read this recipe, I knew it is a very good one and I would love to try.

As any quiche recipe you should have a crust, the one you like the best. I like puff pastry dough, but a basic shortcut recipe is good too.



After I baked first time this recipe I realized first (not as Anna's recipe) that is better that I bake first the crust instead of baking the whole quiche, crust, vegetable, cream and breadcrumbs on top. This is again everybody preference!
Ingredients:

One pastry crust
1/4 grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup grated cheddar
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
 2lb fresh zucchini or cauliflower (or  mix)
2 eggs, separated
1 + 1/2cup sour cream
2tbs flour
2tbs chopped chive
Salt, ground pepper, butter 

Prepare the pastry dough and add the half of a mixer of 2 cheeses into the dough. Press into a 10” pie dish and put away to chill. OPTIONAL: YOU CAN BAKE THE CRUST, 20 MINUTES, 400F.

Mix the rest of the cheese with breadcrumbs and set aside.

 Wash, cut the zucchini (1/4” slices) and trim cauliflower.  Blench in boiling water and drain. 

Beat together egg yolks, sour cream, chives, flour, salt, pepper.



 Beat the egg white until are stiff and fold into sour cream mixer.

Arrange a layer of zucchini slices on the  pie add sour cream mixer, add more slices, and more sour cream mixer.

Add a layer of blenched cauliflower,cut in small pieces.

Add more sour cream mixer, on top.
 




Sprinkle over the cheese and breadcrumbs mixer and dot with few sliver of butter.




Bake 10 minutes at 450F, lower the temp at 325F and bake 45 more minutes.



When you bring the pie at the table  hot and steaming it is a lovely thing and a rewarding taste.


Comments

  1. Lynn wrote: "sounds delicious! Think I may try it!"

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

THANK YOU FOR YOUR COMMENT! I AM LOOKING FORWARD FOR YOUR IDEAS.. PLEASE if you sign as anonymous, PUT YOUR NAME AT THE END, at least I know who's comment is, ILI

Popular Posts