Sunday, March 20, 2011

bread baking challenge TUSCAN BREAD # 38






It is almost TWO years since we have a bread baking challenge, following “The Bread Baker’s Apprentice” by Peter Reinhart.

I was looking in this book for a recipe that I have a bread (or two) in 2 days time, maximum. In this book that we follow, the majority of the bread needs 3 days or more.

I found the recipe #38, in this challenge, “TUSCAN BREAD”, by chance, and it fit me very good.




There are 2 things that make this bread unique: First there is no salt in the recipe. This is because people from Tuscany use this bread with different paste, olive oil, hearty soup, and the flavors not interfere with salt. Second is the “ boiled dough” = get hot boiling water mixed with flour, and leave overnight on the kitchen counter, will increase the gelatin from  flour to become evident, in the consistency of this crusty loaf of bread.

Last night, just before I went to bed, I mixed:

2 cups flour (one white and 1 rye )
with 1 and ¾ boiling water.

After it got cold, I cover with wrap and a kitchen towel, at room temp, until tomorrow, when I come back from work.





Next day I added to this paste the ingredients, and knead the dough in the bread machine:

2 and 2/3 unbleached flour
2 and 1/2 tsp yeast
2tbs oil
3/4  cup ,room temp, water.

I added poppy seeds, 2tbs 



Two hours later I get a well raised dough, very sticky that I have to manipulate with a lot of flour, on my hand, on the counter.






Cut the dough in two and make in any shape you feel like it: "battard" long and curl, 
"boule" round and plumply.
 Keep it covered for 60-90 more minutes at room temp, to raise again.







After this second raise, score the bread, mist water on top of loaves and dust lithely with flour or corn meal, with a help of a sieve.










Prepare the oven of 500F and spry oven walls with water, to steam.
Put bread on parchment paper and bake for 10 minutes.

Lower the temp for 450F and bake bread 20 more minutes until are brown and well baked.



I was surprised: such a crusty, hard outside and very soft,  fluffy, inside. A very tasty, crunchy slice of bread, warm and soft, very good with butter. 


Bone appetite!


CHOCOLATE PASCA (EASTER) /pasca cu ciocolata ( my mom's)/

My mom's recipe, (romanian): Se pune de cu seara 1kg smantana pe un servet, deasupra unei tavi cu malai. A doua zi dimineata...