Saturday, October 31, 2009

bread baking challenge # 4: BRIOCHE.


 Manet's painting a perfect brioche with flower and fruits:


BREAD CHALLENGE # 4:   BRIOCHE.
 BRIOCHE--FRENCH, FRENCH, FRENCH..... AND MORE FRENCH!!!




Since I was a child this is, was, the most desirable desert. My mother would make brioche on Easter, for the Easter morning.... So light, puffy, sweet, and buttery in the same time. We always would have with home made preserve (mostly apricot) and warm milk..... what memories!!!!

Later I try to make, never, ever, is the same as my childhood, or from the ones you can get from very much expensive small little French Cafee, downtown Boston. I taste the perfect made brioche in Paris, and in London (Harrod's) with tea and preserve.... perfect...

I was looking forward for this challenge, I even postpone and postpone this challenge #, until i found a  day, that  I can dedicate only to baking.... brioche day.....
I can tell you from the beginning  when I was making the dough, step by step following very strictly Peter Reinhart recipe, that I thought it is going to be a FAILURE. I even imagine how I am going to title this blog as " TOTAL FAILURE!!"
When I realized that I have to mix together 4 cups of flour and 4 sticks of butter (16 oz) and make a bread from it.... I can't believe it is going to raise, or to bake all way.... But it did magnificent and I got a wander full
brioche out of oven. Tall, brown, delicious!!!

This was the recipe for "rich man brioche" and there are few variant with fewer and fewer butter, for the same amount of flour (4 cups). My friends who tried this "Rich" brioche would never imagine it is so much butter....








I found a recipe with brioche dough and fruits, so the rest of the brioche I made a desert with green and black grapes, it happen to have in my house. It would be perfect with half apricots, or plums (I love Italian prunes, to bake with) but I just have some grapes. I add some walnuts, too.




LINZER TART

As a child my mother would make this tart and she was very happy to tell us that is a very famous Austrian tart  named after the town...