bread baking challenge # 41 = WHOLE WHEAT BREAD

 It is cold, it is dark, and here comes the long unpleasant winter..... It is time for me to turn back to my backing: BREAD BAKING CHALLENGE, which I quit over the summer.......


This is the last recipe in the book we follow for this challenge that Nicole from http://www.pinchmysalt/ started a while ago, and I follow too.
WHOLE WHEAT BREAD, ready to be baked:


 
 I started with a soaker. This is adding to the recipe some wild, natural yeast that is on the wheat kernel. I found "whole wheat shaved grain", unprocessed, that I used for my soaker: one cup of grain and 3/4 cup of warm water.



At the same time, I soak/pre-ferment: 1 ½ cup whole wheat flour with 1/4 tsp yeast and 3/4 warm water, at room temp, a few hours, until starts bubbling. Put in refrigerator until next morning, when I start kneading the bread.

As I learn from the book I follow in this challenge: "the Bread Baking Apprentice" by Peter Reinhart, to overcome the "grassy and bitter tone of this pure bread" we will use the "crumb= coarse =flake wheat flour to open both the flavor and the texture" and we use the pre-ferment dough "to give the enzymes enough time to break out the sugars trapped in the starch."
 
 As I learn from the book I follow in this challenge: "the Bread Baking Apprentice" by Peter Reinhart, to overcome the "grassy and bitter tone of this pure bread" we will use the "crumb= coarse =flake wheat flour to open both the flavor and the texture" and we use the pre-ferment dough "to give the enzymes enough time to break out the sugars trapped in the starch."




The next day I used the soaker (room temp, overnight) and the pre-fermenter (refrigerated overnight, and warmed for about one hour at room temp, before I used) to start kneading the bread, by machine, mixer, or by hand.
 


Add, to soaker and pre-fermenter:

2 cups whole wheat flour
1tsp instant yeast
1tsp salt
2tbs honey
1tbs oil/butter
1/4 cup warm milk
2 tbs caraway seeds.

Knead for 15 minutes by machine, until the dough makes a nice ball.

Put the dough in a buttered vase, covered with plastic wrap, at room temp covered with a towel, to double in volume for about 2h.

 I make 2 shaped bread from this dough and I leave it for 2 more hours to rise again doubling the volume.
 


Bake the bread for 40 minutes and used it for a very nice sandwich, for me and my husband who is ready to try ALL MY "BAKING RESEARCH".






Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

THANK YOU FOR YOUR COMMENT! I AM LOOKING FORWARD FOR YOUR IDEAS.. PLEASE if you sign as anonymous, PUT YOUR NAME AT THE END, at least I know who's comment is, ILI

Popular Posts