Bread Baking Challenge #6- CHALLAH, jewish bread







 
  
My very one kind a  round breaded CHALLAH,: SOFT AND CRUNCHY IN THE SAME TIME!




















A chunk of bread, a good, creamy, aged cheese and red wine.... divine!



CHALLAH, the braided bread of Judaism, is a Celebration bread of God Goodness and wealth.
The bread is separated into 12 parts that is celebration of 12 tribes of Israel.
There are many way to Brade a Challah, simple, double, (Celebration Challah) but I am going this time to try, round Challah, that looks AMAZING. The way to do it is here.



I read the recipe and it is a standard bread recipe , a little sweet bread recipe. So I decided to use my bread machine for mixing the dough and first rise.

I started mixing together, flour, salt, yest and honey, in the bread machine pan.





I beat 2 eggs and 2 yolks with vegetable oil and I added to flour mixer, to bread machine pan



I added 3/4 + 2 tbs warm water. The recipe ask for may be more, but I used this amount of water.



I set up the bread machine to dough feature and after 2h, the dough was smooth and raised.



The dough was a little too sticky, I incorporate a little more flour, and I left it to rise again, for one more hour.








After 2 rise, I divided the dough in 4 pieces and I start to make long ropes:



As the model show in the "the Jewish woman" to make a round rope I started to braid the 4 long ropes:



Brade first on the left side, braid on the right side and then put it together to form a ball. I put on a parchment paper and on a cookie sheet, to rise, about 1 hour

NOTE: utube  video how to do it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj8tuQ1RojM





Once was raised, I brushed with 2 egg whites ( the 2 yolks I used for the dough) and sprinkle with poppies seeds generously (I love white bread and poppies seeds!)



Bake 45 minutes at 350F, and the round CHALLAH bread is perfect: the wonderful aroma in the house, the shiny top and the black seeds make all the difference!





Comments

  1. THIS IS JUST WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE GREAT PICTURES AND INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE COMPLICATED BRAID, I NOW UNDERSTAND! YOUR BREAD IS BEAUTIFUL I WILL BE SURE TO VISIT YOUR SITE ALL THE TIME! THANK YOU, DEBORAH D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have admired this bread for years. With your beautiful instructions and photos I am encouraged to go ahead and try this for my family and friends any time. Thank you for your wonderful site to refer family and friends to often. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  3. DEAR ILI, WONDERFULL ILLUSTRATION OF BREAD MAKING PROCESS LEADING TO CULMINATION OF CHALLAH BREAD. TASTFULLY TASTEFULL TO THE SENSES,APPEALING TO THE EYES. JUST ADD BUTTER AND YOUR ON YOUR WAY. ABSOLUTLY DELICIOUS
    TAKE CARE,BRANDON

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful looking bread! I love the pictures and the clear step-by-step instructions you have put on your website. For a person who has never baked bread before want to try it. The bread looked so delicious and fluffy. I am going to tell my friends and family to visit your website often. ~R.K.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great.It looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. THANK YOU FOR YOUR COMMENT! I AM LOOKING FORWARD FOR YOUR IDEAS...

    Hi, if you sign as anonymous, PLEASE PUT YOUR NAME AT THE END, at list I know who signed above!!!!

    I SPEAK ENGLISH, FRENCH AND ROMANIAN, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO POST IN ANY OF THESE LANGUAGES, ILI

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

THANK YOU FOR YOUR COMMENT! I AM LOOKING FORWARD FOR YOUR IDEAS.. PLEASE if you sign as anonymous, PUT YOUR NAME AT THE END, at least I know who's comment is, ILI

Popular Posts