mother's day, 2010 - STRAWBERRY TART
It is spring and this time of the year, the strawberries are invading....this is why I decided to use them vanilla cream torte with puff pastry base.
My nephew with his family, return to Romania to live there for about 3 years and Kim, called me from there, were to found some ingredient for strawberry shortcake, she is very fond of, in spring. I told her that it is not known in Romania, but we make strawberry tart (tarta cu capsuni) more often. This is way I decided to put up this recipe, so she can have it and because it bring me many fond memories….
strawberry tart (=tarta cu capsuni)
For the base I am using puff pastry but you can use any dough.
For the vanilla cream/custard I was looking for something easy, fluffy, recipe. The vanilla cream we make for ‘kremshnit” (one of most loved desert, in Romania) is heavy, has a lot of flour, 6 eggs and a lot of sugar…in German the words means “piece of cream”.
I found in a French blog a perfect “cream patisiere” that I thought to use for this strawberry tart.
6 large egg yolks
1 large egg /
3/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons sugar /
3 Tablespoons cornstarch / 90 grams maïzena
3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour /
3 cups whole milk - use whole milk, not low-fat or non-fat! /
3 Tablespoons unsalted butter /
2 teaspoons vanilla extract* / vanilla pod content
1. Mix together the egg yolks, egg and 2 tablespoons of the sugar.
2. Add the cornstarch and flour to the egg mixture and using a whisk, mix until smooth and pale yellow. Set aside.
3. Combine the milk and remaining 3/4 cup of sugar in a saucepan. Set it over medium high heat and stir until the milk begins to steam.
4. Whisking constantly, add half of the hot milk to the egg yolk mixture and stir until smooth.
5. Pour the combined mixture back into the saucepan and bring to a boil, whisking rapidly to prevent any scorching.
6. Remove from the heat and stir in the butter and vanilla.
7. Poor over the base and leave to get cols and custard.
8. Add sliced strawberries and/or whole strawberries.
9. Serve with whipped cream.